Skip to main content

VEIL: MASK | COVER | CONCEAL | SCREEN

This work's word was one that I rather enjoyed. For me it raised a lot of questions about how it is used currently and the many forms it takes on. My piece tries to address the different phases of the word "Veil" and its meaning but also begins to pull the three seemingly disparate pieces into a larger narrative about some of the hidden meanings of the word. For me "veil" is only the beginning and it leads us to think about what is being hidden, why is it being hidden, and what can be done about that. Most importantly, in thinking about the word "veil," I am led to the word "reveal".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SHARE: RATION | MEASURE | SPLIT | DIVIDE

As a child, one of the first mantras that I learned was the phrase "Sharing Is Caring" and this mantra has stayed with me. I call it a mantra because it is so often repeated now that to go against it is to almost blaspheme. Kindergartners, at an early age, learn that "Sharing Is Caring" and that to not share is a frowned upon quality. On the other hand, I wonder if this necessarily holds true all the time. There are certain things that we certainly don't want to share, for example illness but somehow that is just overlooked. My piece this week is just meant to explore the barriers that allow/prevent us from sharing and the challenges that arise with that.

MEET: TOUCH | JOIN | RECEIVE

This week's word immediately reminded me of a trip I took two summers ago to Kenya with a research group of mine. On that trip we got to visit the beach in Mombasa a few times as part of a relaxation exercise. Upon hearing the word "Meet," I immediately flashed back to the moment when I was standing on the porch, of one of the restaurants we were at, watching the waves lap along the shore. When we first arrived, the shoreline seemed so far away, almost at the breaks. As time passed on the tide slowly rose and the water began to get closer to where we were. As the water appeared, the sand began to disappear. The photo I decided to show this week was taking during those moments as I walked along the shore trying to negotiate those areas where there was only a few feet of sand to walk on between the water's edge and the rocky coastline. Its horizon line and the placement of the boats brought back memories of how the boats were once sitting on the bottom but began to rise...

LONG: Have A Strong Wish Or Desire.

In thinking about this week's word, " Long ," I am reminded of an excerpt from Maya Angelou's " Caged Bird " that I would like to share. The caged bird sings    with a fearful trill    of things unknown    but longed for still    and his tune is heard    on the distant hill    for the caged bird    sings of freedom.